Client for Samba networks

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Dec 18 14:28:41 GMT 2001

Steven French wrote:
>  Getting an open network provider DLL and/or GINA
> (logon module) for CIFS on Windows 2000/XP would
> be a big help but also tricky to write

	We've seen two partial sucesses with
	GINA already, IBM's and the nsgina
	for nis (yp), so it's at least possible...

	A GINA that does a minimal window,
	collects data and ships it to an
	authentication server in some
	appropriate format, and then displays
	a sucess indication or a server-
	supplied error message would allow us to
	build suitable back-ends, and might
	be more maintainable than previous ones.

	I, for one, would love to see a GINA
	I could update via the default login.bat (;-))
	that would be independant of the
	authentication mechanism.

--dave
Americas Customer Engineering, | some people and astonish the rest.
SunPS Integration Services.    |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com