CIFS vs. NFS and other filesystems (was Client for Samba Networks)

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 18 12:01:08 GMT 2001

>> What *really* sucks is the 2x (or 4x) overhead you pay for with UCS-2
>> and UCS-4 - it impacts the amount of memory that applications need
>> (bloat bloat bloat), the amount of bandwidth used, all of the
>> standard functions people use, etc.  UTF-8 (and other variable-length
>> encodings) can support Unicode > 64k, too, which is a big reason
>> why the IETF is pushing UTF-8 instead of UCS-2 to support Unicode.

>I still maintain that it's easy to make mistakes programming with
>multi-length characters. I should know, I've made most of them :-).
>
>Now for storage on disk, or traversal on the wire, utf8 is great.
>But when you read that stuff into program memory for manipulation, then
>fixed length is the way to go

If we could prove (via benchmark/testcase) that using utf8 vs. ucs-2 over
the wire improved performance measurably/significantly we would have a case
to add a capabilities bit (or smb flag).   I will have to see how hard that
would be to negotiate and implement in my Linux VFS client prototype &
Samba server but it might be easier to roughly estimate more simply by
benchmarking the difference in performance with Unicode disabled (i.e.
single byte, ASCII ) vs. UCS-2 enabled in Samba - I don't know whether the
performance difference would be significant enough to show up in benchmarks
and it would depend on the client.  With Windows clients and netbench it
would be tricky because Windows 2000 clients are presumably "natively"
ucs-2 but with a Linux client to Samba it might be measurable.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294