Client for Samba Networks

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Dec 17 11:33:03 GMT 2001

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 03:48:04PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > > Ahh...how quickly you have forgotten PC-NFS.  The reason Samba is so
> > > popular is that it requires no client side changes.  As a former sysadmin,
> > > being able to control the server is much easier than trying to control
> > > Windows desktop clients.  In fact, think of what it would take to upgrade
> > > a redirector of a network of moderate size.  Now think of what it takes
> > > to upgrade 30 Samba servers to fix a interop problem with a new service
> > > pack.
> >
> > I used to support PC-NFS for Sun. I still have nightmares about it... so
> > I definately can't forget it :-).
> >
> > A free - *working* - nfs client for Windows would have changed things
> > greatly (IMHO :-).
>
> A free - *working* - operating system for desktop PC would have changed
> things greatly IMHO ;-)

SMB is icky, NetWare is even more closed, and NFS is okay, but somewhat
outdated.  Coda has lots of problems, but one thing it has in its favor
is disconnected operation.

An open, secure, cross-platform network filesystem that can handled
disconnected operation... now *that* would be a very cool thing.

Chris -)-----