Client for Samba Networks

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Dec 16 15:45:29 GMT 2001

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> He does hit upon a very important point though. If such a thing were
> enabled, it would have simplified the job of interoperability greatly.
> In fact Samba might never have come into being.

Ahh...how quickly you have forgotten PC-NFS.  The reason Samba is so
popular is that it requires no client side changes.  As a former sysadmin,
being able to control the server is much easier than trying to control
Windows desktop clients.  In fact, think of what it would take to upgrade
a redirector of a network of moderate size.  Now think of what it takes
to upgrade 30 Samba servers to fix a interop problem with a new service
pack.

chau, jerry