Client for Samba Networks

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Dec 14 23:43:23 GMT 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 10:55:18PM -0500, Sean Elble wrote:

> And, when you consider the time that has already been making Samba appear to
> be a Windows NT/2000 server, and support all the RPCs and everything else,
> it would really be a waste to abandon that in favor of creating your own
> system. I really don't think it's a bad idea; in fact, I like it a lot.
> Unfortunately, it's just not practical today, because of all the work that
> has gone into making Samba what it is. Hope that helps.

He does hit upon a very important point though. If such a thing were
enabled, it would have simplified the job of interoperability greatly.
In fact Samba might never have come into being.

You're assuming that all the time spent making Samba appear to be
a Windows NT/2000 server is a good thing. I'm not sure I agree :-).

Regards,

	Jeremy.