Client for Samba Networks

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Dec 14 23:42:03 GMT 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:36:56PM -0600, Ken Cobler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Forgive me, if this has been proposed before.   However,  has anyone
> considered developing a Client for Samba Networks that is completely
> independent of MS code and protocols?
>
> Through the Client for Samba Networks, we could decide protocols, RCP
> interface, authentication, etc. to optimize the network connection
> between MS Windows based PCs and Samba servers.  Also, Domain or User
> Authentication can be designed for optimally network protocol (i.e.
> TCP/IP).
>
> On my MS Windows '98 and 2000 machines, I can add Client for Microsoft
> Networks, as well as, Client for NetWare Networks.  These clients must
> link into the Windows OS to provide some networking interface.  There is
> even a mechanism to add a new client to the Windows OS.
>
> If someone is interested in such a task, please reply.  I'm interested
> in developing such a Client for Samba Networks.  If someone is already
> working on this, please let me know so I can see where I can help out.

It's a very intersting idea. It has been proposed before actually.

The problem is where you state:

>"These clients must
> link into the Windows OS to provide some networking interface."

Indeed. The problem is this interface is one of the "hidden" API's
Microsoft furiously denies exist. This is one of their most jealously
guarded secrets (along with the internal authentication interfaces)
for a reason you mentioned above without realising it.

You said :

> "However,  has anyone
> considered developing a Client for Samba Networks that is completely
> independent of MS code and protocols?"

This is Microsoft's *nightmare*. Something that probably keeps them
awake nights :-). For to have such a thing would mean losing control
of the protocol itself, and that is one of the control points of the
monopoly.

Regards,

	Jeremy.