Adding groups from ACL panel

Vijay V Kota vkota at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 13 09:28:02 GMT 2001

Hi,

Using a Win2K Professional client and Samba 2.2.2, I ran into the following
scenario:

1. Map a drive to the samba share.
2 Choose any file on share, right-click ->Properties->Security->Add
3. Select any local Unix group and click OK
4. When the ACL list is refreshed, the group name is displayed as
    GROUPNAME (WORKGROUP\GROUPNAME)
instead of GROUPNAME (NETBIOSNAME\GROUPNAME)

On clicking OK and coming back to permissions, everything is well and the
WORKGROUP is replaced by NETBIOSNAME. This happens only when adding a group
and not a user.

Any ideas as to why this happens? I have looked thru the code for
LSA_LOOKUPNAMES and haven't seen anything that should cause this behaviour.
Another interesting thing I noticed with Network Monitor was that the
LSA_LOOKUPNAMES request for a user is sent as USERNAME while the one for
group is sent as NETBIOSNAME\USERNAME. (The reply for both however comes
back with NETBIOSNAME.)

Thanks,
Vijay