Edit SAMBA share permissions from NT

Nigel Williams nigel at veritas.com
Tue Dec 11 10:51:04 GMT 2001

with 2.2 the server process must be running with a uid of 0 to add/delete
shares and change share permissions.

The 'admin users' parameter can be used to designate users that will run as
root when connected.  Be very careful with this, everything is done as root.

If you look at the 'runas' command in win2k help it gives an example of how
to start the computer management mmc as another user.

You can run this mmc as your 'admin user' while logged in as yourself then
use it to manage shares.

If you add a share name of C$ or any other single letter followed by a
dollar for that matter, this share will show up in the browse box when
selecting a directory to associate with a new share.  Directories created
from this dialogue below this point will however be owned by root.

nigel williams