Browser election

saahil saahilprasad at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:32:04 GMT 2001

Hi, these are the settings for my samba server. For some reason, every so often, the network stops operating. You cant see anycomputers on the network neighborhood. We figured out that the computer starting the browser election was a win 2000 professional machine. We checked the setting and the "master browser setting" in the registry of the machine was set to false. We dont know what else to do to fix the problem on our network. We have no 2000 servers. Just a couple of professionals and all linux servers. Can you please tell me what else I can do to fix the problem,, thank you!

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = yes

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
   os level = 37

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
   preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
;   domain logons = yes