ACLs on HPUX

P Ranjit Kumar ranjit at cup.hp.com
Wed Dec 5 12:10:08 GMT 2001

Hi

I have researched the ACLs on HPUX quite a bit. I also found out that HPUX
doesn't have facl() system call.

So for implementing ACLs support on Samba 2.2.2 we need to some how get a
file name from an fd. I think there is no way you can get a file name from a
file descriptor (am I wrong here??). One ugly way would be to maintain a
mapping between the file descriptor and filenames when samba opens the file.
Another ugly way is to modify 2.2.2 code so it doesn't call
sys_acl_set/get_fd.

I chose the second way to implement ACL support in Samba 2.2.2. This feature
is available in HP CIFS A.01.08 to be released in March 2002.

Knowing that the Samba team won't accept these changes I didn't submit the
changes.

If anyone wants to have a look at the code, let me know, I will send you the
code changes.

I plan to change the implementation for next CIFS Server release where a
File system driver replaces facl system call on HPUX. This change will
provide a cleaner ACL implementation on HPUX.

Thanks,
Ranjit
HP CIFS Server Team.
ranjit at hp.com