features in samba 3.alpha (VFS)

Mike Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Tue Dec 4 05:45:02 GMT 2001

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 07:44, David Lee wrote:
> So I'd like to encourage those members of the Samba team who are thinking
> about VFS to consider whether we can, somehow, support multiple VFS layers
> per share.

I whole-heartedly agree.  Perhaps a starting point would to get the
current VFS implementation to work (including all examples that are
shipped) to allow people to experiment with writing their own stackable
VFS modules.  That is, using the current framework:

[share1]
	vfs object = /usr/local/samba/lib/vfs-stack.so
	vfs options = /usr/local/samba/lib/stack-quota-virus.conf

[share2]
	vfs object = /usr/local/samba/lib/vfs-stack.so
	vfs options = /usr/local/samba/lib/stack-quota-virus-nisdfs.conf

[share3]
	vfs object = /usr/local/samba/lib/vfs-stack-tdlee.so
	vfs options = /usr/local/samba/lib/stack-tdlee-virus.conf

Then vfs-stack.so could be used for trying out various stacking
schemes.  By getting vfs options to work properly, a different config
file could be specified for each share allowing different shares to use
the same stacking module with different configurations.  It seems to me
that this would be useful for experimentation.

Mike