Auto-selecting remote function type on net and help function

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Mon Dec 3 13:10:04 GMT 2001

Jim McDonough wrote:

> Since net will (eventually) auto-detect whether to use RAP, RPC, or ADS,
> how should the help read?  For example,
> net rap user [misc. options] [targets]
> isn't quite right to me.  I'd like to propose:
> net [rap] user [misc. options] [targets]
>
> But I'd like to be able to express that [rap] might not occur if left to
> auto-selection.  Any ideas on how to express that?

The way I was going to deal with it was simple.  We will end up back
where we started, with the basic prompt being 'net user share
join....'.

This would do these basic actions no matter what the server.  Then,
under ads/rap/rpc we would have similar options, but also many more that
are specific to that technology.

We would simply list 'net rap/rpc/ads' in the same way we list any other
subcommand.

Does this make sense?

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org