Static entries on WINS for Samba.

Brett Simpson Simpsonb at hillsboroughcounty.org
Mon Dec 3 09:17:03 GMT 2001

Has anybody setup a Samba that can act as a WINS server with static entries for the NT domain?  What I did was enabled DNS proxy in the hopes it would use the local hosts file for domain login. It seems to work except when I move to another subnet. There are no DNS entries on our name servers for any of our domain stuff.

Here's what I did:
1: Router forwarding broadcasts allows my win98 to login so I disable them with NodeType=2 (This forces use only wins) in the registry. I can't login.
2: Added my samba wins server to win98 settings. Reboot. I can't login.
3: Then I add my domain controller to the /etc/hosts file and restart the smb and nmb services. I can then login ok to the domain. (This is good)
4: If I move my win98 pc to another subnet (all network stuff configured ok) I can't login. (This doesn't seem to be right am I still missing some weird broadcast thing?)

I can ping the tommy2 & wins-one servers ok. Ntsql times out and Attorney reolves to an IP address on the internet. This applies to both step 3 and 4.

Here's what my /etc/hosts and smb.conf looks like.

127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost
172.27.128.225	wins-one#00	wins-one.hillsboroughcounty.org wins-one
172.16.21.51	ITS#1b ITS#1c ntsql#20 ntsql#03 ntsql
172.16.21.52	tommy2#20 tommy2#03
172.27.128.23	attorney#20 attorney#03

My smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = ITS
	netbios name = WINS-ONE
	server string = Samba Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	dns proxy = Yes
	wins proxy = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	printing = lprng

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

Brett Simpson
Internet Administrator for Hillsborough County
(813) 301-7144
simpsonb at hillsboroughcounty.org