Minor problems with configure on Solaris 8

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Dec 3 05:13:02 GMT 2001

Steve Langasek wrote:
> > 		in a shared library interceptor, one
> >       normally uses
> >       p = (void *)dlsym((void *)handle, (const char *)"read");
> >
> >       [The Solarii actually use _read for calls to a
> >       read that can't be interecepted...]
>
> It has occurred to me in the past that this would be a way to trump the
> glibc maintainers' apparent efforts to thwart library interceptors.  In
> addition to needing to detect the right dlopen() calls for the system,
> this would also require knowing the location of the libc library on each
> platform, correct?  Are there any guarantees that all the necessary
> library calls are implemented directly in libc, or could they possibly
> be implemented in other libraries that are linked in automatically?
>
> I also suspect that the current scheme works on some platforms where
> dlopen() functionality is historically absent or unreliable.

	dlopen/dlsym are standard elf components, so they
	are common, but syscall is from v6, so it may
	work in some other, wierder, places.

	And yes, it might work to end-run around glibc
	deficencies...

	Anyone interested in smbsh on Linux?  I find it much
	nicer than the current smbmount, and can help...

--dave