Create a named pipe listener

Elrond elrond at samba-tng.org
Mon Dec 3 04:06:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:08:26AM +0100, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Oleg Preobrazhenskyy wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I need to make small project where I purpose to use samba.
> > The target is to make a listener who will listen on
> > TCP/IP and named pipe (for dos clients). With TCP/IP I have
> > no problem but I don't know what to use for the second part.
> > Does samba has an ability to bind some program (module) to
> > specified pipe?
>
> This sounds more like the tng ...
[...]

Yes.

In Samba TNG, you can simply write a completely standalone
program, which listens on a unix domain socket in a special
directory.
(In fact, nearly all usual NT pipes are separate processes
in TNG)

And that way, you've created a named pipe, which can be
reached via SMB.

There's one small issue though: When a client connects to
your socket, our system first sends a big bunch of data.
This data contains all the credentials of the SMB session.
This way you have a chance of finding out, who connected to
you.

Hope, this helps a bit.

    Elrond