Take Ownership Error Return (looks familar)

jtrostel at snapserver.com jtrostel at snapserver.com
Fri Aug 31 21:26:00 GMT 2001

I am trying to implement the 'take ownership' permission that I have as an
add-on to my XFS file system under SAMBA.  I have set up the file (and
directory) in test with 'rwxdpo' permissions for the user I am logging into
SAMBA as.  I am able to manipulate the permissions in the dialog boxes, and the
results of getfacl bear out that I am really manipulating the perms of the
files on the XFS filesystem.

The problem comes when I try to invoke 'Take Ownership'.  I get the familiar
refrain "Unable to take ownership because the account
"CEO||||||||\jt-pdc\||||||||" could not be accessed on the remote machine due
to the following error: The account could not be found.

I am _not_ using winbind, just doing the 'normal' NT server authentication.  I
thought this had been fixed?  Is it working under any scenarios? It doesn't
work for local authentication either (security=user).

It looks like uid.c is not parseing out the correct account name and some of
the underlying code (when in security=user mode) isn't figuring out that I'm a
local user either.

--
John M. Trostel
Senior Software Engineer