Permisions

Ries van twisk riest at franksintl.nl
Fri Aug 31 15:45:08 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I do agree that it would be more simple to move from Unix permissions to
samba permissions using a ACL file or using ACL/EA which is now in the
kernel.
I think that the samba code is much simpler without using unix
permissions (note that i'm not a Samba coder).

There is at least one downside. This would work if you access all
'samba' files using windows.
There are a lot of people out there that are doing real crossplatform
filesharing. And suddenly it does not work anymore because everyfile is
root:root 0600. Problem there...
Most of them are NFS users which needs the permissions. Right?
What about users homedirectory and mail files. A lot of people
(including me) are using the samba server as a mailserver aswell. So I
need the users and my system anyway.
ACL/AE is already in the samba code and Linux is now understanding
ACL/AE. And some filesystems are ACL/AE aware. For example xfs.
One other downside when using a ACL file is that samba always needs to
access two files instead just one. There are people outhere that really
have thoudens of files in one directory which really would slowdown
samba.

SO it does have some advantages, there are a lot of disadvantages.

Just my $0.02

Ries

0