2.2.1a on Solaris; runaway fcntl

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 13:43:55 GMT 2001

I realise there there has been some discussion of the problem of smbd
going into a CPU-gobbling loop with "fcntl(...)", particularly with
version 2.2.1a on Solaris.

Was there any resolution to this, for sites such as ours which must run
basically production, not CVS, versions of Samba?

If there is a resolution, then:

1. Is there a patch we can apply to 2.2.1a?

2. Is there a timescale for the release of a fixed version (whether that
   be a "2.2.1b" or a more major "2.2.2")?  Could I suggest that
   consideration be given to doing an imminent release of such a version?

Despite my remarks about being "production", not CVS, I would be happy to
run a patch on the cooperative basis of using a test-level patch.

The UK university scene is in a "quiet" season with all the undergraduates
on vacation.  Even so, at our site, we are still seeing this problem a
couple of times per week.

But a month from now the undergraduates return.  The risk of this bug, and
its effect, will then increase enormously.  So we are very keen to address
this in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance.