Question -- is there a way of using Samba's authentication against NT PDC for other purposes?

Deniz Akkus Kanca deniz at arayan.com
Thu Aug 30 09:11:32 GMT 2001

Hello,

This question is slightly off-topic.

Currently we use a samba file server in a production environment,
authentication is done against an NT PDC, and all works fine. We use samba
to automatically create new users.

It would be great if we could use this authentication/password control
system for other applications (for example, to authenticate email users). I
am not aware of such an implementation -- for example a PAM module,
authenticating a user against the NT PDC, so that this PAM module could be
used in configuring IMAP. This way, users would have one password for both
email and for login access.

Can this be done?

Best regards,
Deniz Akkus Kanca