oplock break notifications

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Aug 25 12:47:02 GMT 2001

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001 dolze at epcnet.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i use smbfs to connect to a samba share. if i have an oplocked file
> open and open this file a second time i get an oplock break

[You should mention that you are playing with experimental smbfs
 patches ...]

> notification. Is it a bug or a feature, that the oplock break
> notification has a PID of 65535 ? I read the CIFS spec, but don't

It's part of the "specification" that pid is used to identify a client
process. In this case the server is the client (strange as that may
sound), using the definition of client as the one that initiates the
communication (of the oplock break in this case).

> SMB PACKET: SMBlockingX (REQUEST)
> SMB Command   =  0x24
> Error class   =  0x0
> Error code    =  0
> Flags1        =  0x0
> Flags2        =  0x0
> Tree ID       =  1
> Proc ID       =  65535

The process ID is a "process" on the server and can be anything, it is
decided by the smb server and is not related to any pid you have sent it.

Which pid did you expect to see?

The FID tells which file is losing it's oplock.

/Urban