Time-critical problem at Sun: exploding smbd memory usage

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Mon Aug 20 19:18:17 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Kris Desjardins wrote:
>
> > We ran samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 7 and had the size reach 28MB per
> > process (200+ processes) before I had to kill -9 the parent and let
> > the children eventually timeout and die.  I upgraded to 2.0.10 and
> > applied the patch below from a previous discussion but had no apparent
> > effect, the processes are 10MB now and growing.
>
> Can you track this down to either printing or file sharing?

	Hmmn, good thought...

	This look suspicious, we have a whole whack
	of printers! 294 of them????

	I remember some printer issues in 2.0, and
	the amount of space they tale, I wonder if this
	is what's biting us today...

--dave
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com