Time-critical problem at Sun: exploding smbd memory usage

Kris Desjardins kris_desjardins at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:07:54 GMT 2001

We ran samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 7 and had the size reach 28MB per process
(200+ processes) before I had to kill -9 the parent and let the children
eventually timeout and die.  I upgraded to 2.0.10 and applied the patch
below from a previous discussion but had no apparent effect, the processes
are 10MB now and growing.

I also have another problem with the Windows 2000 backup utility and samba.
It seems when backing up 2GB+ of data to a file on a samba share with verify
on, the job will never stop and the "Remaining time" increases.  Thanks.

BOOL reset_stat_cache( void )
{
        static BOOL initialised;
        if (!lp_stat_cache()) return True;

       if (!initialised) {
               initialised = True;
               return hash_table_init( &stat_cache, INIT_STAT_CACHE_SIZE,
(compare_function)(strcmp));
       }
        hash_clear(&stat_cache);
        return hash_table_init( &stat_cache, INIT_STAT_CACHE_SIZE,
(compare_function)(strcmp));
} /* reset_stat_cache  */