Is bugs.samba.org live?

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Sat Aug 18 10:10:56 GMT 2001

HI Jonathan,
I keep the time to answer you and make clear to the list what the bug
tracking system has been made for:

on http://www.samba.org/samba/bugreports.html
we state:
"Note that only legitimate bug reports will be dealt with via the samba-bugs mail address. Any queries for configuration help or general information will be disregarded. Please send such requests to samba at samba.org."

So what is a legitimate report?

First of all, all information about OS version, Samba Version and Windows Client Type and Version must be provided.
Second, a good description of the bug and most important how to reproduce it.
Third, generally also a log level 10 debug or network tcpdump/ethereal/netmon
log showing the bug.

So general help or documentation requests should be sent to samba at samba.org
and not to samba-bugs at samba.org
If a help/documentation/malformed request hit the bug tracking system, I may
or not reply depending on how much busy I am at the period.

Now the current situation of the bugtracking system is this:
in incoming you will find bugs that await a reply of furter information from the bug issuers, bugs that I have not yet time to test and I'm not sure they are
actually bugs or not, and a few new messages I had not time to look at yet.

others directories contain recognized bugs that are going to be fixed.

Said that take in account I have limited time, so I will give precedence to
well documented and critical bug reports and leave behind the others and
take care of them when I have time.

Simo.

P.S: wishes, requests and discussions about samba internals and API should be dicussed on samba-technical obviously

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org