Using the "nis" scripts to add users in Samba

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.gr.jp
Fri Aug 17 17:06:02 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:
>	 Do you think storing smbpasswd in nis+ is a often
> used option?  I had already told Deborah this, but she seems to
> continue to want to use it.

I think only few people use it. I myself do not use --with-nisplus
now and also know it is currently unmaintained.

How about first announcing that the next release will not support
--with-nisplus unless anyone becomes the --with-nisplus maintainer?

And even if no one did, we should not disable the feature, I
think because some users actually use this option. Instead adding the
description like:

  --with-nisplus     Include NISPLUS password database support (NOT supported)

is better. Also for --with-ldap, we should add description.

And how about other options? It seems that some other options such as
--with-ssl, --with-krb4, --with-dfs and --with-afs are also not used
and unmaintained.

I'm sorry if some of them are maintained.

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.org
Personal - http://home.monyo.com/
Samba Team - http://samba.org/     Samba-JP - http://www.samba.gr.jp/