Using the "nis" scripts to add users in Samba

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Aug 16 15:10:43 GMT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Santomauro, Deborah wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Believe me, if I didn't have to go this route, I wouldn't use
> "--with-nisplus" at all but I'm just following the recommendations of
> both Monyo and John Terpstra. If this is completely inaccurate then
> perhaps it should be noted in all pertaining documentation.
>
> In my situation, smbpasswd is always going to try to access the
> smbpasswd.org_dir and I have already created this table, using the
> method described in the NISPLUS documentation. I have yet to find a
> way of not having to store smbpasswd in nis+, but if you know of one,
> can you share that information?

Deborah,

I apologize if my comment camee off wrong.  I meant nothing against
your decision to use it :-)  I was asking because the option is
basically unmaintained.  In fact, I had commented out the configure
option in the latest SAMBA_2_2 code.

What i'm trying to figure out is how much this option is used
(if at all).  I'll look into it some more, but it will probably be next
week before I get a chance.

cheers, jerry
 www.valinux.com         VA Linux Systems       gcarter_at_valinux.com
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org