alpha_strcpy() problem

Andrew Tridgell tridge at valinux.com
Wed Aug 15 11:57:05 GMT 2001

> In HEAD branch alpha_strcpy() is not m17n'ed because of omitting non-
> ASCII characters.

ok

> The 2nd (or 3rd) byte of multibyte character often becomes non-ASCII
> code, so we cannot use multibyte NetBIOS name correctly now in HEAD
> branch.
> Is there any reason not to use characters except '/'?

yes, other characters are potentially dangerous, eg:

  "foo\"; rm -rf ."

or %, for example if someone used %H in a netbios name, samba would
later replace it with a home directory.

It may be that we can safely allow for any non-7bit chars. The risk
then is if the filesystem on the machine strips off the 8th bit and
that produces a "/". Nasty.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is. Suggestions?