FW: Problems with Samba 2.2.1a on Solaris 8 and Opening a .txt file in Excel.

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Aug 14 11:44:57 GMT 2001

Dave Hall wrote:
> We recently install Samba 2.2.1a on our Solaris 8 servers.  Since that time,
> we have had problems opening .txt in Excel 97 SR-2 on our Windows 95 or on
> our Windows 98 machines.  When we try to open a .txt file, it takes too
> long, errors or crashes Excel.  We can however open the same .txt file in
> Excel 97 SR-2 on 2000 SP2 and NT4.0.

	Ok, we have a samba anomaly, lest's eee if we can pin ot
	down a bit for the team...

> The error we get in the log file is:
>          lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(478)
> read_socket_data: recv failure for 4.  Error = Connection reset by peer.

	That's the mesage you get when the client suddently
	drops the connection...

> What things should I check?

	You'll need to capture the packets being sent,
	starting just before the open and continuing until the
	reset message appears onSamba, and until it
	succeeds on NT. I mildly reccomend ethereal for
	doing the packt captures.  Email the binary
	(uninterpreted) captur efiles to me, and I'll
	extract the differences.

--dave (back from les Isles de le Madelaine) c-b
Performance & Engineering Team | some people and astonish the rest.
Americas Customer Engineering  |                      -- Mark Twain
(905) 415-2849                 | davecb at canada.sun.com