Printing in 2.2.1a

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Aug 13 21:35:25 GMT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Juergen Hasch wrote:

> > ok. this works.  Still has one glitch with Windows NT 4.0 clients.
> > The client never sets an assigned port for the local printer.
> > When you look at the printer properties and select the port
> > tab, NT 4 complains that you must select at least one port.
> > Of course, if you do then the printer quits working because
> > you selected a port and the jobs are never sent to the samba printer.
>
> Sounds promising, if you have a patch I will try it.

It's checked into SAMBA_2_2 now.  Will merge into HEAD shortly.
See srv_spoolss_nt.c:_spoolss_open_printer_ex() and loadparm.c
for 'use client driver'

(checked into HEAD now as well)

btw...thanks for the idea about this.  Feel kind of stupid
for not doing it earlier since it was so easy.

> I noticed another strangeness with NT4. I have two printers configured
> exactly the same on a Samba server and the NT 4 client reports access
> denied for both printers with plain 2.21a Samba. However I can print
> on one printer and not on the other ;-) This seems to be the same for
> all NT clients. So sometimes NT4 will ignore the failure to open the
> printer with admin capabilities and at least print. The printer window
> will still say "access denied". I will take a look at the logs
> tomorrow.

Depends on whether or not you have a valid SMB session to
the Samba server.  Do you have a file share connection on
one client and not the other?

cheers, jerry
 www.valinux.com         VA Linux Systems       gcarter_at_valinux.com
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org