On Samba-Technical messages

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Mon Aug 13 19:31:06 GMT 2001

Urban Widmark wrote:

 On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Green, Paul wrote:

> > entire original message.  (2) Could we get the re-mailer to
> > understand MIME and have it strip the HTML version of the mail,
> > leaving only the plain, text version?

I have been led to understand that the issue is being worked on in
the spare time of the volunteer that handles the mail servers.

How about forcing people who send HTML to receive the list in DIGEST
mode so that they can see the indigestion they are causing? :-)

More seriously:

Generally it is only an occasional person that sends HTML, and they
usually stop when asked.

Of more anoyance is one popular PC e-mail client has a checkbox to
respond to sender in same format as received.  This seems to override
all other check boxes to send plain text only.

If this box is not changed from it's default of checked to cleared,
reading one HTML message from the mailing list will cause all of your
postings to that list following it to be in HTML.

> > Or to just reject mail that uses MIME? (Thus, asking the sender to
> > try again without MIME). It is quite tedious to see two copies of email,
> > one in HTML and one not.

Lucky you. The mailers that I use usually pick one and display it.
Usually choosing the HTML one, and rendering in unreadable fonts and
colors, until I switched to using PINE.

> MIME and HTML emails are two completely different things.
>
> MIME is useful, HTML is not (in this context). Rejecting html emails with
> an error might be ok, rejecting MIME emails would have dropped the one you
> tried to send (as well as this one). From your headers:

My self, I would also appreciate that non-plain text stuff not be sent on
a mailing list.  Either a pointer to a download site, or an offer to send
individually on request.

Even attachments cause all sorts of strange problems with various e-mail
systems and should be avoided in mailing lists intended for human reading.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network