Security Dialouges from Windows 9x

mark at axeon.screaming.net mark at axeon.screaming.net
Sat Aug 4 13:13:20 GMT 2001

I was under the impression (and still am, after reading the docs at
acl.bestbits.at) that the 'user' permission is the permission for the owner
of the file.  I therefore, too, can not understand why the user has
permission to take ownership of the file.

Let me clarify the situation with another example:

Create a file as root, and using dialouges, set no access to 'Everybody':

# file: New Text Document.txt
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

Log in as p1, try to edit and save file, 'Access is denied'.  Click 'take
ownership' button (still as p1).

server:/var/www# getfacl *
# file: New Text Document.txt
# owner: p1
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

Now that the owner is p1, p1 now gets the 'user' permissions, and can edit
the file.

Doing the same thing in Windows 2000, p1 does not seemingly have permission
to take ownership.  This would be the behaviour I would expect.

Now, modifying permissions of a file on a Windows 2000 Workstation using the
dialogues in Windows 95:

After setting permissions for 'Everyone' as read only as root (who is a Admin
on the 2000 system), logging into the domain as p1, and trying to take
ownership 'Access is denied', which to me, is the expected behaviour.  Is
this right?

And please could someone verify the meaning of the 'user' permissions in the
posix acls

Hope this has been helpful,

Many Thanks

Mark