Security dialogues from Win9x

Mark at samba.org Mark at samba.org
Fri Aug 3 20:24:05 GMT 2001

Jim and all,

I have recently been experimenting with using the security dialogues from Win
95 to modify ACLs on files on my samba server.  However, I have come across a
problem (using CVS from a couple of days ago).  First i shall explain the
situation:

I am using linux kernel 2.4.4 with the best bits acl patch installed and
functional.  My workstations are all running Windows 95 OSR 2.  Now onto the
problem:

1)  As root, I create a file in windows

results getfacl on linux box:

# file: Test.txt
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r--
other:r--

2)  Using the security dialogues, I set 'No access' for a user called p1

# file: Test.txt
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:p1:---
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

3)  Now if I log on as user 'p1', I can use the 'take ownership' button to
take ownership of the file:

# file: Test.txt
# owner: p1
# group: root
user::rwx
user:p1:---
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

4)  I can now modify/access the file.

This cant be right?  Surely?

Any more info will be willingly provided.  I am keen to get this working in a
production environment.

Many thanks,

Mark Westcott