Mac Dave<->smbclient - Status ?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Aug 2 15:48:08 GMT 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Ulf Bertilsson wrote:

> --Answer-----------------------------------------

What was the question? Oh, it's from the FAQ.
(and the Q is "Does smbmount on Samba work with DAVE Sharing?")

> The smbclient allows clients to connect to Samba as a server and the
> smbmount connects to the Windows computers as if Samba is the client.
> We've done extensive testing with DAVE Client connecting to Samba as a
> server and we support this type of connection.  Unfortunately, smbmount
> is
> only available with Linux and DAVE does not support this connection at
> this
> time.  In the future, we may work with the developers of Samba to test
> smbmount with DAVE Sharing to allow the two products to function
> together
> completely.
>
> Anyone comment this ? :)

They don't say anything about if smbclient works with Dave as a server,
but then that was not the question. But it seems like they misunderstand
what smbclient is.

"In the future, we may ..." is nice and non-commiting. :)

Btw, if someone wants smbmount/smbfs to work with DAVE they will have to
do something about it. Myself, I don't have access to any Macs (or Linux
boxes with access to a Mac), nor do I have DAVE to play with.

tcpdumps of smbclient/smbmount/smbfs <-> DAVE, and comparing them with
NT <-> DAVE could be useful.

/Urban