Samba lock question

orobitai at ca.ibm.com orobitai at ca.ibm.com
Thu Aug 2 13:34:20 GMT 2001

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i'm having.
I'm trying to code  an application that will cause samba to lock some
files. I need this because we use samba as a gatway on 3 seperate servers,
hence they need to be aware of each others locks. Skipping ahead, here is
the part im having trouble with, I can't modify samba code, so I  need to
find a way to open a file within a C program in such a way that it incures
a lock on the samba server, everything else has been taken care of.
Basicly what I thought of doing was mounting each server as a SMB
filesystem on a linux box and running a program in the crontab that updates
locks on each server. Now I need to know how samba locks some files and not
others so i can implement it in my little C program.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this.
Olivier

Please bare in mind that I'm still a newbie to samba and coding(i'm still
in school) so any insight would be greatly apreciated.