Printing in 2.2.1a

Juergen Hasch Hasch at t-online.de
Wed Aug 1 16:34:17 GMT 2001

Am Dienstag, 31. Juli 2001 22:43 schrieb Gerald Carter:
> > It seems to me that Samba should "step down" the access if authorization
> > fails.  That is, if the client requests Administration access, but isn't
> > authorized, they should still be given "guest" access.  I assume this is
> > the behavior of Windows.
>
> No.  The client should reissue a request for lesser priviledges if
> the access check fails.  The client is failing to do this.  It is
> a client bug IMO.
>
> What is happening is that Samba is acting in a way that an NT server
> cannot.  You can share a printer on a Samba server with no printer
> driver.  This is not possible under NT.
>
> > There are about 80,000 people on my network and nearly all are in thier
> > local Administrator group so that they can install applications on thier
> > clients.  Is there a solution with Samba 2.2.1a or do I need to go back
> > until it is implemented?
>
> I don't know how to fix this other than implementing a parameter for
> dropping support for the SPOOLSS RPC's. However, IIRC win2k doesn't like
> this too well.  It is a really horrible hack we used in Samba 2.0.x.

I guess I am having exactly the same problem. Since updating to Samba 2.2.1a
all NT4 users get the printer access denied. Everyone is local administrator
on their machines to be able to install programs.
Strangely one printer will still print, although Windows returns access
denied. Another printer (configured exactly identical) won't print  ;-)

My workaround is to use IPP and print directly to CUPS instead of using Samba
for clients capable of doing this, all other clients have to use another
machine with Samba 2.0.7 still running.

A  solution for this problem in Samba 2.2 would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe you could add a fallback option for "legacy" operating systems trying
to log in with administrator rights.

...Juergen