VFS modules proposed design - WAS Re: Moving 8.3 filenames into VFS - WAS Re: meeting with SUGJ

Michael Gerdts Michael.Gerdts at usa.alcatel.com
Wed Aug 1 11:44:16 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:48:05PM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Michael Gerdts wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 08:14:47AM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> > >
> > > They will be.  Already in my proposd interface design.
> >
> > Could you send me a reference to that proposed design?  A quick look
> > at the list archive wasn't very helpful.
>
> I've hit some snags and will send a note to samba-technical
> when I post the design publicly.  Sorry for the delay.

One other thing that may be useful is stackable VFS modules.  Suppose I had
two VFS modules: one that did auditing and one that did virus checking.
Under the current model, I would have to decide which one I wanted (or
write a new one that incorporated both feature sets).  If they were
stackable, I could have the functionality of both with no real troubles.

Mike