Password encryption in 2.2.0

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Apr 26 02:16:53 GMT 2001

> 	I honestly entered the exact same password in both cases the
> passwd I entered was: iaat5tiums. If I tack it on as an argument I get the
> same hash, but when I leave the passwd argument off it does not work.

The problem will be with your system getpass(), it probably limits
passwords to 8 characters.

The solution is to find out why REPLACE_GETPASS is not getting set in
configure.

1) check in config.h and see if it is getting set

2) if it isn't getting set then open config.log and
   look for "getpass" then see what compiler error you got