Password encryption in 2.2.0

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Apr 25 20:19:20 GMT 2001

Quoting Joe Meslovich <joe at bridgewater.edu>:

> Jeremy,
> 	I honestly entered the exact same password in both cases the
> passwd I entered was: iaat5tiums. If I tack it on as an argument I get the
> same hash, but when I leave the passwd argument off it does not work.

Joe,

This is very interesting.  Is smbpasswd linked against readline?  (ldd `which
smbpasswd`)  It looks to me that there's something wrong with the library
smbpasswd is using to query the password from stdin -- it's not the hashing
algorithm that's the problem, it's the input to the hashing algorithm that's
causing trouble.

FWIW, I also can't reproduce this error on my system (RedHat 6.x, readline 2.2.1).

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer