Samba password problem

Joe Meslovich joe at bridgewater.edu
Tue Apr 24 20:29:04 GMT 2001

Yesterday I reported a problem on this list with my Samba 2.2.0 server.
For the record this is a Solaris 8 X86 server. This is an upgrade from
Samba 2.0.6. Users with passwords created while still under 2.0.6 can
login to the workgroup from their win 95 clients. Those clients however
are unable to change their passwords. The password changer returns an
incorrect password error. If I use the smbpasswd util packaged with Samba
2.2.0 a password change appears to go through, but that user now cannot
login from their clients they get a invalid password error. If I use the
old 2.0.6 version of smbpasswd I can set a password and they can login
again. I don't know if this error is related or not. The major problem is
finding out why the password changer fails. From the logs I have it fails
to authenticate the NT MD4 hash, the LM MD4 hash and the straight
smb_password test. Could someone please explain to me how the
authentication that happens during a password change is different from the
standard login authentication.

								Joe

Joe Meslovich						joe at bridgewater.edu
Associate Network/Systems Engineer	                College Box 499
Tel: (540) 828 - 5343