Keeping smbpasswd and passwd in sync...

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Apr 20 01:42:54 GMT 2001

Eric,

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Eric Knudstrup wrote:

> I am running 2.2, and I have a question about this.
> My server is acting as the PDC, and I want to be able to keep it in sync
> with passwd (well, kerberos), and I am not particularly interested in using
> this NT authentication for my Unix systems as well.  I may just be acting
> like yet another Linux religious fanatic, but Linux is 4:1 NT on this
> network.
> Anyhow, how do I change the smbpasswd file using PAM when the Unix passwords
> are changed?
> I have looked around enough to become terminally confused by my options.
> Which one does what I want?

The PAM module you're looking for (update the smbpasswd file on the local
machine) is pam_smbpass.  It's available from
<ftp://ftp.netexpress.net/pub/pam/>.  In addition to the source, you can find
precompiled binaries in RPM (RedHat 6.2) and deb (Debian unstable/sid) format
on the ftp site.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer