Fw: File locks when restarting smb

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Tue Apr 17 16:48:01 GMT 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, andrew morgan wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Simon Allenby wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a known problem with file locks when Samba restarts?
>
> Why are you restarting samba?  Did you know that you can add and remove
> shares from the smb.conf file, and samba will automatically process those
> those changes the next time a client connects?  You can also change any of
> the settings on a share and they will take effect the next time a client
> connects.  I don't know if this is true for global parameters as well.
>
> One caveat: changing settings does not affect current connections, only
> new ones.

According to the docs, smbd rereads the smb.conf file at regular intervals
for updates.  Even active connections should be forced into the new
configuration after this event.  Best way to find out is to try it.

Jamie Bowden
--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"