"force group" with no effect on BSD

Jiri Lazansky lazan at labe.felk.cvut.cz
Thu Apr 12 16:59:32 GMT 2001

Hello,
I am setting-up a small server with samba-2.0.7 on FreeBSD-4.2-RELEASE
to be used by Win98, WinNT4.0 and Win2k clients. I have met the following
problem:

The 'global' section is
[global]
        client code page = 852
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        server string = Samba Server %v
        password level = 0
        log file = /var/log/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        name resolve order = lmhosts bcast host
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        fstype = Samba
        admin users = root
        debug level = 4
        debug timestamp = Yes
        debug pid = Yes
        debug uid = Yes

I have a share "PC-tmp" described as
[PC-tmp]
        path = /usr/pc.tmp
        force user = %U
        force group = nobody
        writeable = Yes
        create mask = 0664
        force directory mode = 775
        dos filetimes = Yes

UNIX 'ls -la' command in /usr/pc.tmp says:

drwxrwxrwx   4 root   wheel   512 Apr 12 18:21 ./
drwxr-xr-x  19 root   wheel   512 Feb 22 18:07 ../

My clients can access this share without any problems, the log file
seems good, showing "effective(1000, 65534)" for the connected user -
gid 65534=nobody. However, any object created on this share has proper
user ownership but the group owner is always "wheel"

Is this a bug or some problem with the configuration (or perhaps with
the FreeBSD port)? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Jiri Lazansky
Czech Technical University Prague