Changing Domains from NT4 / AD 2000

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Apr 11 22:12:15 GMT 2001

Hi Kirk,
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but when working with 2.0.7 on
HP-UX 11.0, we found this irregularity (only for nt users that had been
moved from
an NT 4.0 domain to a Win2k Domain):
**********************************
When Windows users are migrated from Windows NT to Windows 2000
domains, to maintain backward access permissions, the migration tools
add whats called as SID history to the users accounts.
When Samba server is used in domain authentication mode with migrated
users the authentications fails.
The problem is that due to the addition of old security ids (called as
SIDHistory) to the user accounts, when Samba authenticates a user
against a Windows 2000 server, if the user is authenticated properly,
Win2k returns more information than what samba expects. Consequently
Samba fails with buffer overflow error.

You should be able to determine if this is happening to you by turning up
your
log level and reproducing the failure, then looking thru the log file for a
buffer overflow...

When a user is migrated from Windows NT to Windows 2000 running
in native mode, Win2K preserves the users old SID information in
a Win2K native attribute called SID History.
When samba authenticates such a user successfully against the
Windows 2000 server (giving rightusername and password), Windows
2K appends SID history to the response. Samba isn't ready (not coded)
to handle the extra SID information returned by Win2K servers, so it fails.
Work around is to use the the Samba in server security mode.

We (hp) have coded a fix for this for the 2.0.7 version we ship as part of
the
HP-UX 11.0 operating system.

 Jeremy, et all - could this still be an issue with
the 2.2  code?  I can submit a patch for this as soon as I can find the lab
guy
who actually coded the fix, if you like.

Hope this helps,
Don