duplicate master announcement

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Sep 29 20:50:55 GMT 2000

> Hi,
>         My name is Andre.  I am an engineering student at Umass Amherst
> and We are actually working on a computer project.  We' d like to ask
> you these questions for our research.  Why we are seeing an increase in
> Duplicate Master Announcement?  How can we minimize the impact of
> browsers and their elections on our network, and how can we monitor it?
> Who are the browser masters?
>             We'll be very glad to have these answers.

Are the machines on your network configured so that NetBIOS is bound to
only a single protocol?

Check all of your Windows systems.  If any have NetBIOS bound to multiple
protocols (TCP/IP, NetBEUI, NWLink are the options) then you will have
browsing problems.  Check that first and see if it fixes the problem.

Chris -)-----