HOWTO: get familar with the Samba source code

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Sep 28 12:46:39 GMT 2000

"Richard Sharpe" <sharpe at ns.aus.company> wrote:

> At 11:51 PM 9/27/00 -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> >  o get a copy of MS network monitor (legally).  Even the
> >        one with the NT server is ok.  We can convert
> > tcpdump format to CAP format).  This is the best
> >        network sniffer for decoding SMB/MS-RPC.
> >        Ethereal (www.zing.org) has some code for
> >        parsing SMB/NetBIOS and I think Andrew and Tim
> >        are adding some MS-RPC support in it.
>
> Hmmm, in what ways is NetMon better than Ethereal? I want to make Ethereal
> the best available :-)

I do not know.

> The version of NetMon I have does not do MSRPC ... Which version does?

The most up to date and full featured Microsoft NetMon is shipped with the
System Management Server + Service Packs.  It can also be obtained as part
of MSDN Universal at approximately $4,000 USD (restricted to developement
use only)

The NetMon shipped with NT Server is intentionally less featured.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network