Problem with Samba Please help

elik at bhphotovideo.com elik at bhphotovideo.com
Wed Sep 20 18:02:38 GMT 2000

Hi

1) We are using Samba 2.0.4 with a unix file
server and we started using Windows 2000.
However we are having problems with win2k, it
does not let you change a directory name after
creating the directory. We updated Samba to ver.
2.0.7 on a test machine and it solved the
problem partially. There is however still a
problem, after being logged in for a few hours,
when you try to change the directory name it
changes the name, but it does not refresh the
the screen, only after about 50 seconds (or by
presing F5). Is there any setting or parameter
to chnage in smb.conf or some place else to
solve this problem?

2) We also use Windows 95 and Windows 98
machines, and when using Excel with samba 2.0.4,
many employees share the same files by opening
it as read only. The problem is that sometimes
Excel will still let one employee open the Excel
file in read and write mode, even though another
employee is already in the file from before.
This usually happens after the first person to
access the file was in it for more than one day.
When the first person that accessed the file
will try to save it, he will get an error and
will not be able to save.
The user will get a message that the file is
being saved for someting similar to a Hex name
(like 23ef454d). To my understanding it looks
like samba is losing the connection after a
certain amount of time. My main question is, if
by updating to samba version 2.0.7 will these
problems be solved, or is it a wrong
parameter/setting?

We used this following settings in smb.conf in
the samba ver. 2.0.4

locking = yes
strict locking = yes
kernel oplocks = yes

Please help us solve this problem, if you need
any more info to find a solution, please let me
know. (Even if you have a temporary fix please
let me know.)

Thank You

Best Regards;

Eli Kleinman