Scan or just silly behavior?

Markus Pfeiffer profmakx.fmp at gmx.de
Wed Sep 20 10:28:13 GMT 2000

Hi!

I also experienced scans here in Germany (I´m a T-Online user) and it is
quasi-normal that there are port scans every 5-10 Minutes or so (let me
guess: script kiddies etc ) they Do not understand an code and quite
often use silly programs and firewalls which are quite misconfgured. I
nuked some of them who tried more than ten times (told my provider). I
can even find out their names because they use too good configured Linux
boxes :-).
But there are also Netbios scans from computers in the same net from
people who are using M$ winbloed and didnt deactivate the sharing
capability for their internet device. It could also be that there are
samba boxes which do the same thing. That would explain the behaviour.
There are quite a few of these boxes online its the same problem here,
but I told my samba not to send or listen on any interface which is
connected to the internet AND blocked them on my firewall. Then there are
no worries I hope!!

Cheers

Markus

On 9/20/00, 4:54:50 AM, Christopher "R." Hertel <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote