Samba 2.0.7 problems with NT ACL support

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Thu Sep 14 17:54:30 GMT 2000

	This is a long-standing problem.  Apparently a lot of stupid NT apps
actually bother to use GetEffectiveRightsFromAcl() and friends, rather than
just letting the ACLs do their thing.  Some stupid Unix ports use access(),
too; same net effect.

	The underlying problem is that Samba really doesn't know/care
anything about the relationship between domain SIDs and Unix ids outside of
authentication.  There's no way to get an SID for a given Unix id, so Samba
makes one up on the spot (as an RID under the Samba server's SID).

	Only solution is to implement some sort of generalized POSIX-ID/SID
mapping scheme (i.e. SURS).  Winbindd does this now, as I recall, but it's
not integrated with the ACL code (or much of anything in smbd) at all, as
far as I know.