new messaging system

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Thu Sep 14 03:34:28 GMT 2000

> It would be nice if this could also be a command-line deal, eg.:
> $ smbdc

unless there is some sort of state information that smbcontrol will
store then a shell-like ability doesn't add anything that isn't
already available with your favourite shell. smbcontrol might evolve
into a shell like system at some stage, but I think that is a bit
premature at the moment.

One feature I do want to add is the ability of specifying a particular
smbd by other parameters, such as:

     smbcontrol user/tridge debug 9

which would set the debug level to 9 for the smbd that is logged in as
user "tridge". To support this I plan on adding a:
     message_add_alias(char *name);
function which would allow any part of the code to give itself an
"alias" which can be used to refer to the process. So nmbd would call
	message_add_alias("nmbd");
and winbindd would call:
    message_add_alias("winbindd")