new messaging system

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Tue Sep 12 07:28:31 GMT 2000

I've just committed the first pass of the new internal messaging
system for Samba. Right now the only message types implemented are
MSG_DEBUG, MSG_PING and MSG_FORCE_ELECTION but more will be added
soon.

The performance seems to be quite acceptable. I'm getting about 10
thousand messages per second on my dual PIII/450 which is much more
than what we really need and may allow us to use this system for more
purposes than I originally imagined.

See source/lib/messages.c in the head branch for the
implementation. It's quite a simple bit of code and hopefully it will
stay that way.

Cheers, Tridge