VFS Implementation and user authentication

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Sep 8 18:02:33 GMT 2000

David Lee wrote:

> Just a quick reminder for anyone who might be contemplating this.
>
> So far as is reasonably possible, remember to try to keep such work
> compatible with, and able to use, PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules)
> for those systems that have it (e.g. Linux, Solaris, ...).
>
> (And I have a sneaky, gut feeling that the PAM/Samba interface is an area
> that we may wish to use at our own site in a few months' time...  it would
> be nice if someone (else!) had already made it fully functional by then.)

The only problem with the pam interfaces is that they
need plaintext (as far as I know). Whereas Samba usually
uses the lanman challenge/response binary blobs, which
don't fit too well into PAM.

And when we move to a direct kerb5 implementation I'm
not sure how we'll integrate.

Suggestions anyone ?

Jeremy.